Health Care Law and Litigation
Practice Lead Contact: Steve Hill
At HKW, the health care law practice includes a wide range of services that are necessitated by the health care industry. These services include:
• Mergers and acquisitions of hospitals and other health care companies; designing and negotiating physician-hospital arrangements; and joint ventures and partnerships among health care providers and with health plans.
• Financing and restructurings, including capital access, venture capital/private equity investments and partnerships, and bankruptcies.
• Defending and managing mission-critical audits, investigations and lawsuits relating to False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback, Stark Law or other fraud and abuse violations; advising on self-disclosures; and negotiation of settlements and corporate integrity agreements (CIAs) with government agencies.
• Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, including counseling and appeals.
• Advising on complex compliance issues and on compliance plans and procedures.
• Managed care contracting and litigation.
• Health information technology, including contracting for electronic health records, cloud computing, software licensing, hardware acquisitions, and IT services and outsourcing.
• Privacy and security compliance, including counseling clients on HIPAA and HITECH Red Flag rules; designing compliance policies and procedures; internal compliance audits; responding to OCR investigations; monetizing health data; and managing and reporting data breaches.
• Corporate, regulatory, and strategic counseling issues, such as corporate structure, new business models, governance, licensure, certification and accreditation, and medical staff structures.
• Health care-related business negotiations and dispute resolution, including defense of claims relating to fraud, bribery, contract, antitrust, unfair competition, employment and intellectual property.
• Advising on intellectual property development, protection and enforcement, including litigation to combat infringement of IP rights.
• Freedom-to-operate opinions and counseling on litigation avoidance.
Our clients in the health field are quite diverse, and include Providers, Physician groups, Ancillary service providers. Assisted living facilities, Facility developers, Investors in health care startups, Health information technology companies, Pharmaceutical companies, and Medical transportation companies.
To set up an initial consultation, click here or call 770-953-0995.