HKW co-founder Steve Hill is a 5-time Georgia Super Lawyer. Mr. Hill has a national practice, having represented plaintiffs and defendants in courtrooms in most states. He has participated in dozens of cases in which the recovery in settlement or verdict on behalf of his clients exceeded a million dollars. For the third year in a row, Mr. Hill is recognized as among the top 1000 patent lawyers in the world.
“An accomplished trial lawyer with a proven record of success in multimillion-dollar brawls, Steven Hill has secured victories in more than 200 cases involving patents, copyrights, trademarks and trade secrets. Having also dispatched antitrust and franchise-related briefs with aplomb, he knows how to defend companies’ intellectual property from every conceivable angle.”
Intellectual Asset Magazine’s IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals (2016).
Mr. Hill’s recent patent victories include:
- Kinglite Holdings Inc. v. Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. et al., CACD-2-14-cv-03009-JVS (2016). Successfully defended world’s leading BIOS technology provider and customers accused of infringing six patents. One patent declared invalid and all others found non-infringed. The Court subsequently found the case was exceptional and awarded attorney’s fees to the defendants.
Mr. Hill has also successfully tried numerous complex business cases including franchising, white collar and health care disputes, including Massey et al. v. Moe’s Southwest Grill, LLC et al., NDGA-1:07-CV-00741-RWS (2015). This was a trial victory against 17 plaintiffs exonerating Moe’s founder and former CEO in a fraud and racketeering case alleging kickbacks in the Moe’s food supply chain. The court awarded Mr. Hill’s clients $983,000 in attorney’s fees.
Mr. Hill has is a guest speaker, television commentator and expert witness on matters relating to patent, copyright and trademark litigation. He is responsible for some of the largest copyright and trademark infringement judgments handed down by the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia in the last decade.
Mr. Hill is permanently admitted to the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Federal Circuit as well as the Sixth and Eleventh Circuits. In addition to his permanent admission to all Georgia federal district courts, he is permanently admitted to the Eastern District of Texas, with experience in numerous patent cases in Marshall, Texarkana and Tyler. He has handled numerous cases as lead counsel in other popular venues around the country, including the Western District of Wisconsin, Northern District of California, Eastern District of Virginia and Southern District of New York.
Mr. Hill has also competed in seventeen half marathons and numerous other distance and obstacle races.
Below are additional links to articles mentioning Mr. Hill and some of his cases.
Special Master Cases
- Barbour Racing International, LLC et al v. Exoto, Inc. (Report I, Report II)
- Healthier Choice Flooring, LLC v. CCA Global Partners, Inc. (Report I, Report II)
- Intellectual Property Licensing
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark Rights
- Unfair Competition
- J.D., Vanderbilt University School of Law, Nashville, TN (1994)
- Vanderbilt National Moot Court Team
- B.A., Southern Methodist University, Dallas, TX (1991)
- President’s Scholar
- National Collegiate Debate Champion
- 1991 Most Outstanding Senior Student Award
- State Bar of Georgia
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Intellectual Asset Management Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Practitioners, 2014-16
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2005-07, 2015-16
- Georgia Legal Elite, 2012-14
- Rated 10.0/10.0 Superb by AVVO
- Panelist, “Trial Advocacy: Effective Persuasion Techniques,” 12th Annual Atlanta Bar Association SpringPosium, 2016
- Panelist, “Managing IP Litigation for the Law Firm and Client“, 11th Annual Atlanta Bar Association SpringPosium, 2015
- Speaker, “Video Content and the Web: Copy-right or Copy-wrong“, Atlanta Internet Video Marketing Association, 2014 (slide presentation)
- Panelist, “Follow the Money: NPEs and Pre-Litigation Considerations,” Practicing Law Institute Patent Litigation, 2010